Friday, June 28, 2013

Where am I, and what day is this exactly?



I've decided that in keeping with what I actually find a silly trend in novels: throughout my blog for this program each post will build up a playlist reflecting my thoughts/feelings/inspiration during this experience.

I’M HERE! It was quite an ordeal to come this far, however. I’ve gotten approximately 4 hours total sleep since Wednesday morning when the scramble to finish up trip preparations began, and since then I’ve endured a commute into Queens, a delayed flight causing me to wait at the gate an extra hour & half, as well another extra hour+ just sitting on the runway during a lightning storm previous to the over 7 hour flight, during which I felt quite queasy (not helped at all by watching Oz the Great and Powerful - wow, was that a bad movie…), followed by transport to the dorm through London traffic which was close to an hour.


But alas, I am in the UK. This residence hall is smack on the Thames, and the walk to the London Eye is mere minutes. We all checked in this morning/afternoon and got settled, and then our class met up at 4 pm to do a neighborhood tour. We strolled around the South Bank, ate a bit of pizza, bought Oyster cards, then practiced taking the tube by going to Leicester Square, and finally circled back toward our dorm at King's College.



I stopped at Sainsbury’s to nab a few groceries for breakfast and such, but perhaps yogurt and cereal were not the best choices seeing as I don’t have a spoon… or a bowl… I limited myself to one Cadbury bar this evening, although I wanted to gorge on every single wondrous-looking kind they had. The McDonald’s here all have signs for a McFlurry with Cadbury Flake pieces in them too (--- damn you lactose intolerance!!!).


It was rather pleasant weather today, about 65 degrees F and drizzling on and off – my ideal conditions! It is supposed to warm up a little this weekend, oh well; at least it’ll make for some better snapshots. I do plan to take more and better quality pictures than these throughout this trip, but photography was just far beyond my mental and physical capabilities in this state of exhaustion!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily! I love reading blog posts so I'll keep my eye out for future posts from you :-D

    Also, fniogwjitf20f re: Cadbury flakes in the McFlurry OMG my head just exploded at the THOUGHT.

    Have a great time, pics look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete